This “what to read about China” list has been much requested, and much debated. It will evolve quickly, with short reviews and links to buy, and we welcome advice and suggestions.
Business and Politics
- Mr. China: A Memoir and Chinese Rules: Mao’s Dog, Deng’s Cat, and Five Timeless Lessons from the Front Lines in China by Tim Clissold
- The Party: The Secret World of China’s Communist Rulers by Richard McGregor
- The China Challenge: Shaping the Choices of a Rising Power by Thomas J. Christensen
- On China or World Order by Henry Kissinger
- CEO, China: The Rise of Xi Jinping and China’s World: What Does China Want? by Kerry Brown
- To Change China: Western Advisers in China by Jonathan D. Spence
- This Is China: The First 5,000 Years by Yuan et al. and Berkshire Publishing – available in ebook free to ChinaConnect U subscribers
- The classic Cambridge Illustrated History of China by Patricia Ebrey or the upstart Oxford Illustrated History of Modern China (from 1644 to present only) edited by Jeffrey N. Wasserstrom – and stay tuned for a new competitor from Berkshire!