This “what to read about China” list has been much requested, and much debated. It will evolve quickly, with short reviews and links to buy, and we welcome advice and suggestions.
Business and Politics
- Mr. China and Chinese Rules by Tim Clissold
- The Party: The Secret World of China’s Communist Rulers by Richard MacGregor
- The China Challenge: Shaping the Choices of a Rising Power by Thomas J. Christensen
- On China or World Order by Henry Kissinger
- CEO, China by Kerry Brown
- To Change China by Jonathan Spence
- This Is China: The First 5,000 Years by Yuan et al. and Berkshire Publishing – available in ebook free to ChinaConnect U subscribers
- The classic Cambridge Illustrated History of China by Patricia Ebrey or the upstart Oxford Illustrated History of Modern China (from 1644 to present only) edited by Jeffrey N. Wasserstrom – and stay tuned for a new competitor from Berkshire!
- The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones
- Waiting by Ha Jin
- A Many-splendored Thing by Han Suyin
- Detective series, one by He Jiahong and the other by Qui Xiaolong
- This Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
- The Ibis Trilogy, starting with Sea of Poppies, by Amitav Ghosh